- 1 lb. Smithfield Bacon, divided1 lb.
- 1 whole Loaf french bread, slice into 1/2 in. slices (12)1 whole
- 4 oz. Cream cheese, softened4 oz.
- 1 1/2 cup(s) Milk1 1/2 cup(s)
- 1 cup(s) Heavy cream1 cup(s)
- 1 tsp. Ground cinnamon1 tsp.
- 2 tbsp. Orange zest2 tbsp.
- 1 whole Orange, juiced1 whole
- 8 Eggs8
- 8 tbsp. Butter, melted8 tbsp.
- 1/4 cup(s) Maple syrup1/4 cup(s)
- Confectioner's sugar for garnish
- Orange slices for garnish
- 3/4 cup(s) Light brown sugar3/4 cup(s)
In a medium skillet, cook 1/2 lb. of bacon until cooked through not quite crispy. Drain on paper towels. Spread a thin layer of cream cheese on one side of each slice of French bread. Place bread slices in a greased 9x13x2 baking dish. Layer on cooked bacon slices. Top with another layer of the cream cheese-French bread slices. Blend eggs, milk, cinnamon, orange zest, orange juice, butter and maple syrup until well combined. Pour mixture evenly over bread. Use a spatula to slightly press layers down to moisten. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
Put in cold oven straight from refrigerator and bake at 325ºF for 60-90 minutes or until center is set and edges are golden brown. Casserole may need to be covered with foil midway through baking process if it looks like it's getting too brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Dust with confectioner's sugar and garnish with caramelized bacon slices (instructions below) and oranges. Serve alongside warm maple syrup.
For Caramelized Bacon:
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a baking tray with aluminum foil. Place sugar in plastic bag. Add 1/2 lb. of bacon to the bag and toss to coat with sugar. Transfer bacon to a baking rack set on the aluminum lined baking tray. Bake bacon until dark golden brown, turning once, about 8 minutes per side. Allow to cool.