- 2 lb. Smithfield Recipe Ready Smoked Hocks2 lb.
- 2 tbsp. Vegetable oil2 tbsp.
- 1 whole Large sweet onion, chopped1 whole
- 2 clove(s) Garlic, minced2 clove(s)
- 1 whole Jalapeno pepper, finely diced1 whole
- 2 tsp. Ground cumin2 tsp.
- 1/2 tsp. Ground coriander1/2 tsp.
- 1/2 tsp. Cayenne pepper1/2 tsp.
- 1 Bay leaf1
- 1 can(s)14.5oz. Diced tomatoes1 can(s)14.5oz.
- 2 cup(s) Pork stock (can substitute chicken stock)2 cup(s)
- 30 oz. Canned hominy, drained30 oz.
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add oil. Stir in onion, garlic, jalapeño, cumin, coriander and bay leaf. Sauté for 5 minutes. Add smoked hocks, diced tomatoes and stock. Reduce heat to low and allow mixture to simmer until hocks are fork tender (about 2 hours).
Remove tender hocks from mixture and remove meat (discarding bones and fat). Cut meat into bite-sized pieces and return to pot. Stir in hominy and allow to simmer for an additional 15 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into serving bowls and top with crumbled Queso Fresco cheese.