- 2 cup(s) Hickory smoked spiral sliced ham2 cup(s)
- 1 lb. Black eyed peas, rinsed and soaked over night1 lb.
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil1 Tbsp.
- 2 whole Medium yellow onions, chopped2 whole
- 2 clove(s) Garlic2 clove(s)
- 1 Tbsp. Ham base1 Tbsp.
- 5 ds. Hot sauce5 ds.
- 1 1/2 Tsp. Dried thyme1 1/2 Tsp.
- 1 Tsp. Dried oregano1 Tsp.
- 64 oz. Vegetable stock (can substitute chicken stock)64 oz.
- 1 cup(s) Water1 cup(s)
- 1/2 lb. Collards, cut into thin ribbons1/2 lb.
- 1 - 3 ds. Pepper1 - 3 ds.
In a large stock pot add olive oil.
Stir in onions, garlic, ham base, hot sauce, thyme and oregano.
Saute until onions are translucent.
Add drained black eyed peas, vegetable stock, water and chopped ham.
Simmer until peas are tender.
Approximately 40-50 minutes.
Add collards and simmer an additional 20 to 30 minutes.
Pepper to taste.